Jambalaya is a rice-and-meat based dish from the state of Louisiana in the United States. Traditionally, jambalaya is prepared with sausage such as andouille, ham such as tasso, along with some other meat such as pork, beef or chicken and sometimes seafood such as crawfish, prawns or shrimp. Small diced vegetables such as onion, garlic, celery, tomatoes and bell peppers are used, sometimes jambalaya is stated with vegetables used as sauce in the form of salsa or sofrito and sometimes they are added in between after the meat is done. Rice and broth is added at the last after the meat and vegetables are sauteed and cooked until the rice is done.
The closest dish to Jambalaya is the national dish of Spain i.e. Paella. The difference between Paella and Jambalaya is that the meat used in jambalaya does not typically contain seafood and usage of seafood in jambalaya is of personal choice but in paella it is must. Sausage such as andouille is the typical part of jambalaya which is not used in paella.
The recipe for jambalaya is easy to prepare and filling rice dish. Check out the recipe below.
- Origin: Louisiana U.S.
- Type: Rice based Stew
- Course: Main
- Fabrication and Preparation Time: 40 minutes
- Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 60 minutes
- Yields: 6 servings
|Boneless Chicken – 500 grams.||Andouille Sausage – 500 grams.|
|Prawn or Shrimp – 500 grams.||Bell Peppers – 300 grams.|
|Onions – 100 grams.||Crushed Garlic – 2 tablespoon.|
|Celery Stalk – 100 grams||Tomatoes – 200 grams|
|Chicken Broth – 750 ml.||Long Grained White Rice – 300 grams.|
|Green Chilies – 2 nos.||Cajun Seasoning – 2 tablespoon|
|Creole Seasoning – 2 tablespoon||Worcestershire Sauce – 2 tablespoon.|
|Tabasco Hot Sauce – 4 tablespoon||Olive Oil – 2 tablespoon|
|Chopped Spring Onion – 50 grams.||Chopped Coriander Leaves – 50 grams.|
- Do the misc-en-place by fabricating the chicken into 1 inch cubes, deveining the shrimps, slicing the sausages in thin rounds and lastly chop the vegetables into small dices.
- In a frying pan heat oil, add the chicken pieces and the half the seasoning and saute it.
- Add the sliced sausages and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the onions, garlic, celery, bell peppers and chilies stir till the onions are translucent.
- Add the rice and the remaining seasoning and mix well, cook for additional 2-3 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, and the tomato dices, mix well and add the Worcestershire sauce and the tobacco sauce.
- Cover the pan with a lid and bring the mixture to boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Now open the lid and add the shrimps, cook for another 5 minutes or until the shrimps are done.
- Remove from the flame, garnish with the chopped spring onion and coriander and serve hot.
2 1 2