Ike Jime Definition
|Hold the Fish still|
1) Hold the fish with your left hand on the chopping board, make sure the fish is relaxed.
|Put knife under the gill flap|
2) Take a knife in your right hand and put it under the gill flap, behind the gills towards the upper portion of the head or else you can pierce the head using a needle also called as ”Coring the Brain”.
|Severe the Spinal Cord|
3) Push down the knife and severe the spinal cord and the blood vessels. Be careful at this part as u might accidently puncture the heart and spoil the whole process. If the process is done right, then the fish should give a shudder, mouth should fall open and the fin should fall open and relaxed.
|Severe the tail spinal cord|
4) Now immediately severe the spinal cord and blood vessel as the tail end of the fish. Make sure you don’t chop of the whole tail, you always want the fish to be intact.
|Shove the needle|
5) Shove a needle all the way down the spine of the fish, this is an important part where “killing the fish without the flesh knowing it that it is dead”. The fish gives one last shudder here before relaxing completely. The process is also known as “Pithing”, if this goes wrong then the whole effort will be spoiled and you will have to do it all over again with another fish of course.
|Hold the Fish in ice water|
6) Now put the fish in the ice slurry and allow it to bleed out, here the fish’s natural circulatory method is used to remove the blood as the heart is still alive and it pumps out all the blood. The head and the tail of the fish should be bent and the body should be kept straight.
7) After all the blood is drained the fish is ready to be sold or to be prepared in any dish.
The fish which are killed by this method are priced high as they have longer shelf life also the taste is flavorful.