Seviyan or Vermicelli are small sized noodles made from all-purpose flour or mixed with samolina, In Indian cookery seviyan is basically used for making sweet dishes such as, Sheer Khorma or Seviyan Kheer. But with time many chef have experimented to make other savory preparation from seviyan, one such preparation is Seviyan Pulao sometimes called as Seviyan Upma in Southern India.
Seviyan Pulao is very easy and quick to prepare and the added veggies give it an additional taste and nutritious value, it can be served in lunch or dinner, it is also a part of South Indian breakfast. Not much expertise is required for making this dish, so let’s grab our spatula & ladle and enter the kitchen
- Vermicelli————————-200 grm
- Ghee——————————-1 ½ Tablespoon
- Cashews—————————8 to 10 (cut each in two pieces)
- Green Peas————————Peeled 100 grm
- Capsicum————————-1 Small Size (Julienne)
- Carrot—————————–1 Small Size (cut into small pieces)
- Cauliflower———————–100 grms (small florets)
- Green chili————————2 nos. (finely chopped)
- Ginger—————————–25 grms grated
- Tomatoes————————-1 nos. (Optional)
- Cumin Seed———————-1/2 tbsp.
- Black Pepper (Whole) ———-5 to 6 no.
- Cloves—————————–2 nos.
- Cardamom————————2 nos.
- Salt———————————To Taste
- Lemon Juice———————-1 tbsp.
- Coriander Leaves—————50 grms (chopped for garnish)
- Take 2 table spoon ghee in a frying pan and heat it. Fry vermicelli in the frying pan till they turn light golden brown. Take them out in a plate and keep it aside.
- Put black pepper, cloves, and cardamom in a pestle and crush them all together to make a fine powder.
- Put the remaining ghee in the frying pan and heat it. Fry the cashews till they turn light brown. Take them out in a plate and keep this aside as well.
- Now fry the cumin seeds in the ghee. Add the finely grated black pepper, cloves and big cardamom to the frying pan. Stir 2 to 3 times with a spatula.
- Add chopped green chili, ginger and green pea, fry for 2 minutes. When the green peas become soft then mix the capsicum, carrot and cauliflower. Cover the frying pan and cook for 2 minutes. Add 400 ml of water (twice of vermicelli) and salt.
- When the water starts boiling, add the vermicelli and after 5 minutes reduces the flame and keep stirring the vermicelli.
- Cook the vermicelli till all the water dry up after that turn off the flame. Mix lemon juice. Leave the frying pan covered for 2 minutes so that they soak the remaining water and the pan will be filled with a nice aroma.
- Take out the pulao in a plate and garnish with coriander and cashews, your delicious vermicelli pulao is now ready to serve and eat.
Note- You can add pre boiled vegetables instead of starting with raw vegetables.
Serving-3 nos. Marination Time- 15 min. Cooking Time -20 min. Total Preparation Time- 35 min.