Like any curry from Maharashtra, Kolhapuri chicken curry is very spicy curry, delicious and flavorful chicken recipe from the Kolhapur region of Maharashtra. If you love hot and spicy food then this recipe is a must try for you. Make sure to invite your neighbors for dinner before you make this exotic dish, as they will ultimately know because of the aroma which will fill your entire locality and believe me this is a dish you cannot hide even if you want. The whole taste of chicken Kolhapuri gravy recipe comes from the Kolhapuri masala prepared so don’t miss on that. Happy Eating…
For the Marination
- Chicken—————————–1/2 kg
- Red Chili Powder——————2 tbsp
- Turmeric—————————-1/2 tbsp
- Ginger Garlic Paste—————1 tbsp
- Lemon Juice or Yogurt———-2 tbsp
- Salt———————————-To Taste
For the Kolhapuri Masala
- Oil———————————–4 tbsp
- Cloves——————————4 nos.
- Green Cardamom—————–2 nos.
- Black Cumin———————-1 tbsp
- Coriander Seeds——————2 tbsp
- Pepper Corns——————— 1/2 tbsp
- Garlic Flakes Chopped———-4 to 5 nos.
- Bay Leaf ————————–1 or 2 nos.
- Sesame Seeds———————1 1/2 tbsp
- Onions Sliced———————2 big
- Tomato Puree ——————–2 cups
For the Gravy
- Oil———————————–1 tbsp
- Red chili Powder —————–2 tbsp
- Turmeric—————————1 pinch
- Garam Masala———————3/4 tbsp
- Salt———————————-To Taste
- Wash the chicken well and make fine slits on it, this will allow the marination to penetrate inside of the chicken fiber making it soft and juicy. Mix all the ingredients mentioned under marination section, add this to the chicken and out it in the refrigerator. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours or overnight is best because it helps the meat to absorb the flavor of the spices. Take out from the fridge 30 min before you start cooking the chicken.
- Prepare the masala meanwhile the chicken is getting thawed. Start with roasting all the spices in oil one by one. Add the sliced onions and fry till it is golden brown. Allow it to cool down and blend it into a smooth paste in a mixture grinder. Try not to add water while grinding but if you do it is totally fine.
- The onion paste should be pale brown in color and should have velvety texture. Make the tomato puree ready and keep it aside.
- Heat a table spoon of oil in a deep bottomed kadai, add the onion paste in it. Cook it for a minute and add tomato puree. Cook it for 5 more minutes until raw smell goes off. Add the red chili powder, turmeric and salt. Mix well and cook it on low flame with covered lid for 5 minutes until the gravy is half thickened.
- Now add the marinated chicken pieces in the gravy and cook it on low flame with a closed lid for about 30 minutes or until the chicken turns soft. Keep stirring in between to avoid the burning of the gravy. Adjust salt and pour in little hot water if you feel the curry is thicker than required. Sprinkle garam masala five minutes before you switch off the stove and serve hot with chapatti or rice. Garnish it with chopped coriander, slitted chilies and lemon wedges.
- Serves 3 Pax, Marination time 30 Min. and Preparation time 30 Min.
For more recipes follow @ Via Kitchenette